Update

Patrick Fleming EA plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 17 Dec 2002 20:44:23 -0700 (MST)

On Tue, 17 Dec 2002, Michael Havens wrote:

> How could I check and see what version I am running?
>
> boot=/dev/hda
> map=/boot/map
> default=linux
> keytable=/boot/us.klt
> prompt
> nowarn
> timeout=100
> message=/boot/message
> menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw

The following image should point to your new kernel- whatever you have
named it. vmlinuz-2.4.20 happens to be the name of my latest kernel.
> image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20 ---------------------------------------
> 	label=linux-2.4.20                 |
> 	root=/dev/hda5                     | These lines I copied
> 	initrd=/boot/initrd.img             | from the ones below them
> 	append="devfs=mount quiet"  | adding '2.4.20'
> 	vga=788                              |
> 	read-only    -------------------------------------------------
> image=/boot/vmlinuz
> 	label=linux
> 	root=/dev/hda5
> 	initrd=/boot/initrd.img
> 	append="devfs=mount quiet"
> 	vga=788
> 	read-only
> image=/boot/vmlinuz
> 	label=linux-nonfb
> 	root=/dev/hda5
> 	initrd=/boot/initrd.img
> 	append="devfs=mount"
> 	read-only
> image=/boot/vmlinuz
> 	label=failsafe
> 	root=/dev/hda5
> 	initrd=/boot/initrd.img
> 	append="devfs=nomount failsafe"
> 	read-only
> other=/dev/fd0
> 	label=floppy
> 	unsafe
All of the append = lines pass parameters to the kernel which you may or
may not need depending upon the kernel you compiled. I would remove it
from the section where you added your new kernel unless you find that it
won't boot without extra parameters.

All of your different sections *do* load the same kernel just with
different parameters.

Try changing the section that you added to point to the kernel you copied
from bzImage to /etc/vmlinuz-(whatever) then pausing lilo long enough to
select the new kernel.

--
Patrick Fleming, EA
http://myhdvest.com/patrickfleming