Permissions

David Mandala plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
17 Dec 2002 14:44:53 -0700

Why not 777, because that would be stupid, actually I've never seen
default permissions set to 666 either the most I've seen are 644. 666
would let anyone delete your files. 664 at least protects your work from
erasure. While UNIX and Linux were not designed to stop you from doing
something stupid there is little to no reason to help you to do
something stupid. Most folks can do enough stupid things without
additional help.

I've actually had one of my admins do rm -f /* on a production machine.
It was good that we had most of the file systems mounted ro instead of
rw. Through enough errors that we caught it be destroyed too much.