Update

Patrick Fleming EA plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 17 Dec 2002 09:55:58 -0700 (MST)

On 16 Dec 2002, Craig White wrote:

> On Mon, 2002-12-16 at 16:42, Michael Havens wrote:
> > On Monday 16 December 2002 10:55 am, Eric Andresen wrote:
> > > If you used 'make bzImage' to compile your kernel, then your kernel
> > > image will be located in the file:
> > > /usr/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage
> > > Simply copy this file to wherever  you store your boot images, and do
> > > whatever is neccessary for your bootloader to recognize it, and then
> > > reboot. ;)
> > >

> > I am on Mandrake 9.0 now. I don't know where the boot images are kept. Could
> > someone tell me? I tried locate bzimage; but it was to no avail!
> > --
> -----

The file is named bzImage not bzimage. And *should* be located below the
build directory. If you build like I do you would be in
/usr/src/linux-${VERSION}
#ls arch/i386/boot
bbootsect    bbootsect.s  bsetup    bsetup.s  compressed  Makefile  tools
bbootsect.o  bootsect.S   bsetup.o  bzImage   install.sh  setup.S
video.S

Copy the file (or mv if you are sure that you won't need it again) bzImage
to wherever your bootloader looks for it.
I would do cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-${VERSION}
Edit /etc/lilo.conf to look for the new image
#lilo
Added 2.4.14-tables
Added 2.4.20 *
Added 2.4.18
Now you should be able to boot and select the new kernel image.