FW: Wierd Samba problems

Craig White plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
12 Dec 2002 16:32:16 -0700

Let's keep this on list - it may help someone else and there are many if
not most who are more knowledgable than I about this stuff...but I get
better all the time - especially when people correct me.

I would bet that you don't have any decent shares for your samba and
seeing that you're windows centric...I have to caution you that you will
find it painful to do much editing of files using windows since Windows
tends to save the files with a CR+LF at the end of each line and
linux/unix wants just a LF at the end of each line. Therefore, you will
find it necessary to convert any configuration files that you directly
edited with a Windows editor.

NOW...

I am gonna make an assumption...that you can't connect to the samba
shares at any time - even if you have just started samba...you can check
this...
service smb stop
service smb start
and try to connect to Faxserver from one of the windows computers on the
network...

So - tear into /etc/samba/smb.conf

suggest that you take care of these things...
- within global...
encrypt passwords = yes
workgroup = "Whatever_the_name_of_your_workgroup_is"
netbios name = "Faxserver"

and if you have a domain controller...
from a terminal window (as root)

smbpasswd -j DOMAIN_NAME -r NETBIOS_NAME_OF_DOMAIN_CONTROLLER
(to join the samba server to the domain)

and make sure in your /etc/samba/smb.conf
security = domain
Password Server = NETBIOS_NAME_OF_YOUR_DOMAIN_CONTROLLER

and

at least one good share section...
[common files]
path = /home/samba/common_files
browseable = yes
valid users = Administrator @dom_users
writeable = yes
hide dot files = true

(of course you must mkdir /home/samba/common_files
 and then chmod 775 /home/samba/common_files
 and also chown Administrator.dom_users /home/samba/common_files)

and

you have a group in /etc/group like I used above...dom_users
and add the users that you need to that group.

If you start your windows computer and log on to Microsoft Networking
as:
User:		Jack
Password:	xxxx
that you will need a local user on the linux box and in smbpasswd with
the same name & password in order to connect (unless you permit guest
access which of course blows all the security).

I think that you need to have port 137 open for Win95/98 clients

The documentation in man smb.conf and at www.samba.org is terrific stuff
and if you get Microsoft Networking at all, you should find it easy to
work this stuff through.

Craig

and from