Wierd Samba problems

Craig White plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
12 Dec 2002 11:15:14 -0700

On Thu, 2002-12-12 at 10:48, Bruner, Andrew wrote:
> I was wondering if you guys could help me with a problem I'm having.
> I recently setup a Hylafax server where my users print to a samba printer
> and hylafax faxes the print job. Let me give you the info on the box. It's a
> compaq 133 running Red Hat 8.0, Samba 2.2.5 and the latest Hylafax rpm.
>
> The problem is Samba will work fine for a little bit then it stops, but smbd
> & nmbd are still running. You can click on it in Network Neighborhood and it
> says the "service is not started". It also takes telnet with it!?
> I've checked /var/log/messages and nothing jumps out as the culprit.
> I've checked the logs in /var/log/samba and I don't really see the anything
> there either.
-----
Confused by the question...Network Neighborhood is a Windows
Icon...service is not started is linux.

From the linux terminal...
ps aux|grep smb
does it show it as a running process?

netstat -an|grep LISTEN
does it show the computer listening to ports 137 to 139?

Are you starting / running this thing in XWindows? Is it freezing up in
XWindows?

Craig