Changing the filesystem of my root partition..

Bill Jonas plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 10 Dec 2002 16:26:13 -0700

--eSuk7cb4xGx9LvKi

On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 12:09:00PM +0000, Steven M. Klass wrote:
> 	Anyway the question is how do I go about doing this.  My general
> 	strategy would be..
<snip>

Looks about right; you'd want to run lilo (or re-install grub) after you
restore the root partition's data.

> 	Now what about /proc and /dev?  What do I need to do to these
> 	dirs or will this strategy cover them to?

Just tarring up /dev should be enough.  Don't mess with /proc; just
don't bother backing it up.  Simply re-create it after you restore.

> Am I missing anything - I'm a bit nervous..

Well, there's a similar entry in the ZipSlack FAQ...
http://www.slackware.com/faq/do_faq.php?faq=3Dzipslack#1  (Although it
uses cp instead of tar, which I don't recommend.)

You mentioned:
>       tar -xpvf mybackup.tar.gz | (HELP)

Actually, you can do this one of two ways.  (BTW, you're missing the z
option.)

       cd /mnt/hda1; tar -xzpvf /mnt/some_other_partition/mybackup.tar.gz
or
       tar -C /mnt/hda1 -xzpvf mybackup.tar.gz

Doing this really isn't that big of a deal; you just need to understand
what you're doing and go slowly, making sure that you don't make
(disastrous) mistakes.

HTH.

--=20

SysAdmin/Developer/Tech for hire!  http://www.billjonas.com/resume.html