Technology and Human Rights

Dennis Kibbe plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 4 Dec 2002 20:19:52 -0700

On Wednesday 16 October 2002 09:48 am, you wrote:
> As a long time member of Amnesty International,
> I've been concerned about Human Rights abuses.
> As a long time computer geek, I'm interested in
> information technology. I'm delighted to discover
> there is an organization that combines these
> issues.  Others might be interested in this, so
> here is:
>
> http://privaterra.cpsr.org/

Somewhat related was an article months ago on SlashDot about an organization
that sends geeks to third world countries to work with and help train their
IT people.

Also, Youssou N'Dour, the great Senegalese super star (he's coming to SCA in
May:-)) had a hit in the early 90's with "Toxiques" (lyrics -
http://www.lyricsmania.com/y/youssoundour/023.html), a song about third world
governments being bribed to accept toxic waste from rich countries. This is
detailed in the report "Exporting Harm, the Hig-Tech Trashing of Asia" at
www.ban.org .

So, everytime we load Linux on a old unwanted computer and make that computer
useful again, we are helping the environment. :-)

Dennis Kibbe