Kernel building question

Mike Starke plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 3 Dec 2002 11:38:39 -0500

On Tue, Dec 03, 2002 at 09:22:01AM -0700, Mark Phillips wrote:
/_I need to rebuild a kernel for an old 486 laptop, but the laptop does not have
/_enough hard disk space. Can I build the kernel on a Pentium or a SPARC machine
/_instead and then install it on the 486? The Pentium is running redhat, but I
/_want to build a debian version of linux (if that is the right way to phrase the
/_comment...)

Yes, you can build a kernel on another system. I have done this before
many times. Not sure what you mean by "debian version" because
as far as I am aware, a kernel is a kernel: Just compile the needs
required by the notebook, copy the kernel over to the notebook, edit
lilo.conf, run lilo, reboot (notebook) and cross your fingers :-).

Not sure, without thinking it through, how you will handle the pcmcia
modules. In 2.4.x, this is handled in the kernel, in 2.2.x, you will
need the pcmcia_source. I suspect, this too can be handled on another
system, although I never had to do that.

HTH

v/r
-Mike