Ernie Ball

Patrick Fleming EA plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 2 Dec 2002 09:58:04 -0700 (MST)

On Mon, 2 Dec 2002, Vaughn Treude wrote:

> Excellent article!  Perhaps Microsoft's bully-boy tactics will benefit the
> Linux cause more than anything.
> I was wondering, though-- the Infoworld article quoted the BSA as saying that
> $10.9 billion was lost to piracy in 2001.  Does anybody have any idea how
> they derived this figure?

Probably: PCs shipped - Windows sold = pirated copies. And if you are
willing to pirate windows, you would probably pirate all of the other
'covered' software so add those license costs into the mix as well. Unless
they mean that pirates boarded the boats they used to ship software
plundered the software ships and stole their cds.