Ernie Ball

Vaughn Treude plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 2 Dec 2002 07:40:56 -0500

Excellent article!  Perhaps Microsoft's bully-boy tactics will benefit the
Linux cause more than anything.
I was wondering, though-- the Infoworld article quoted the BSA as saying that
$10.9 billion was lost to piracy in 2001.  Does anybody have any idea how
they derived this figure?  I ask because I believe that many, if not most, of
the statistics thrown at us in the media are numbers that were distorted or
fabricated in order to influence public policy.  (I could cite a dozen
examples off the top of my head, but I don't want to get too far OT.)

Vaughn Treude
Nakota Software, Inc.