creating variables

Nathan England plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 30 Aug 2002 13:01:40 -0700

It seems I jumped the gun again. This doesn't accomplish what I had hoped. I
went home for lunch and looked at my script and realized that's not what I
wanted..
I'll explain a bit more.

I have a script that takes user input. The user input is $2 because initially
the script requires a command which is $1 looks like this:

#>script command input

Currently I'm working on the status command. When I type script status input I
want it to search for whatever I put in as input..

#>script status mysql

It then searches /var/log/packages for mysql, but it is actually
mysql-3.23.52-i386-1

Once it finds this, I need it to put that full name back into another variable
That way I can cat /var/log/packages/$VARIABLE

I tried doing

PACKAGE=`ls /var/log/packages | grep $2`

it comes back saying there are too many commands in my if statement or grep
displays its help menu...

I tried doing
if [ -f /var/log/packages/$2* ]; then
PACKAGE=`ls /var/log/packages | grep $2`
echo $PACKAGE
fi
but it either says I have a problem : ]: with my if statement or grep displays
its help menu.

Any ideas?
How can I accomplish this?