My thoughts on Lindows so far

Carl Parrish plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
27 Aug 2002 14:48:37 -0700

Okay I finally had time to try out the Lindows box I purchased from
Wallmart.com. I have to say I was impressed with how easy it was to set
up. Basically plug it in if you're using dhcp that it; you're done! If
not you have to set the network parameters (this was a bit challenging
to figure out if you're used to RH). But otherwise it was snap. Most
desktop users are now ready to go. However for just about any
application catagory you see their little "Click and Run" icon. You see
they have most of the packages on their server (there's not much on the
CD at all). All you have to do is click on the icon and it handles the
install pretty nice and simple but this comes at a price ($99.00) so far
I haven't been able to get .rpms to work with it. My next attempt will
be to install from source. So if you're part of their target market (A
end user convert from M$). The *only* way you're going to get some key
programs (realplayer, gimp, gnuCash, staroffice) is by joining their
subscribtion program. I'm debating the merits of joining now. My
*biggest* problem with it so far however is how hard it is to get to the
command line. There are *no* icons or links to get to a terminal. I had
to click run then type in xterm. Once I got over that I had to get used
to the directory structor. Does anyone know what Dist LindowOS is based
off of? Its not set up like either RedHat or Debian (admittaly the only
ones I know well). So its taken me a bit to find things I'm used to just
being "there". So my recommendation so far.... If you're a window user
looking to get into Linux and you can afford to add the $99.00 onto the
price of the computer ($315 with shipping and handling). This is a good
OS. If you've been on Linux for a bit esp RH or Deb users you may want
to pass this over.

Carl Parrish