Linux At Work

David Uhlman plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 24 Aug 2002 17:16:06 -0700

I just ran a test to check and this appears correct.
Without further investigation I suspect it may be that the screenshots in
the ms word document get stored as windows bitmap if you use the ms word 95
format. I did not have the problem if I saved as msword 97/2000/xp format. I
am using openoffice 1.01.

Sincerely,
David Uhlman
CTO 50km Inc.
office(877-571-7679)
mobile(602-770-9551)
fax(509-752-3882)
email(duhlman@50km.com)
----- Original Message -----
From: "Charlie Bullen" <pcello@mindspring.com>
To: <plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us>
Sent: Saturday, August 24, 2002 12:02 PM
Subject: Linux At Work

Hello, yesterday at work, one of my co workers emailed me several MS word
documents created with MS word from Office XP Small Business edition. Each
file consisted of some text and 20 to 25 screen shots.  File sizes ranging
from 450 to 800 K. I had no problem opening these in Open Office running
under linux. If I modified the files and saved them in Open Office's native
format, the file sizes remained about the same size. If I saved them in MS
Word format though, the file sizes went through the roof. For example the
800K file went to about 25megs.

I haven't noticed this happening with files that contain only text, so I
think it hassomething to do with how Open office is storing the graphics.
Any Idea how to reduce the file size back to a manageable level. I don't
know how open office stores the graphics but hopefully there is some way of
modifyng the fle type. The purpose of this is to create a training manual
which will be used first by windows users and then if all goes well, linux
users.

Charlie