digital camera revisted

Mike Starke plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 15:16:18 -0500

well, I am the proud owner of a Cannon Powershot A40. I was going to
get the Nikon 2500, but the Cannon is a bit more rugged, and it also has
audio for the quicktime movies.
\
I must say this was a no brainer to get to work (the flash reader). I did get
a USB flash card reader; my 1st usb device. I had tried to get USB
to work in the 2.2.x kernels, but never had any luck. I just grabbed the latest
at kernel.org (2.4.19), recompiled my kernel, and poof I'm up & running.
It did take a bit for me to figure out what device it was attached to (/dev/sda1),
but once I found that, and remembered someone reminded me that it was a msdos fs,
The Gimp had no problem pulling these up.  I did find it interesting that I was
able to mount the actual reader itself (mount -t usbfs /dev/sda /mnt/flash).

One last question, although I haven't got to the movie portion of this yet, but
will I be able to play the Quicktime movies on Linux?

Thanks again for everyone's suggestions..........

v/r
Mike