Entertainment center box - recommendations?

Donn Shumway plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 22 Aug 2002 17:25:58 -0700

I highly suggest that you visit several sites related to what are called
HTPC's (Home Theater PC).

Here's an FAQ:
http://multimedian.com/school/htpc.html

There's some projects discussed on the avsforum:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/

Amptron and several others build HTPC's:
http://www.amptron.com/html/HTPC.html
http://www.ez-hometheater.net/

The Digital Connection is the best site to look for components and complete
systems:
http://www.digitalconnection.com/shopper_htpc.asp

I would definitely use a video card capable of performing the the DVD
conversion like a recent GeForce or ATI card.
Your required level of quality for Audio/Video is something you need to
determine your self. All it takes is money.
Available Linux tools include xine, and xinerama for DVD and video playback.
Pick the distribution that floats your boat.
Personnally, I would forget wireless speakers and stick with good quality
wire.

Hope this helps.
Donn Shumway