Getting Linux system approved by FDA.

Thu, 22 Aug 2002 15:52:25 -0700 (MST)

Am 22. Aug, 2002 schwätzte Blake Barnett so:

> A little late in doing so, but I'll correct you anyway.  Progeny still
> offers Debian support contracts, as well as a couple other companies.
> HP offers Debian as a supported OS, but you may need to buy hardware to
> get the contract.

Progeny is doing the support for HP :). Talked to a few of the Progeny
people at LWE. They are still selling support for Debian, just not doing
their own dist anymore. Brandon specifically said the packaging costs were
prohibative for the money they were making on distribution-related sales and
services.

> So... it's not necessarily about name brands or service contracts.  It
> really comes down to using what is most economically feasible, and this
> includes training costs, time-to-market considerations, and various
> other not-so-obvious costs.  At this point if someone knows RedHat, then
> it's obviously cheaper for them to use it in the short term.  Long term,
> however, I believe Debian offers the most assurance. And an organization
> like Debian is likely to be around long after all commercial
> distributions have bitten the dust, because it doesn't rely on any
> bottom lines or market conditions.

Even if Debian biffs everything is available since almost everything they do
is in public space. Get a debian developer involved and you have access to
the non-public stuff as well.

It's also easy to get the same software for 20 years. Make a mirror and
don't change it ;-).

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  https://www.LuftHans.com/
#  Knowledge is useless unless it's shared. - der.hans