How do I boot into text mode, without X?

Mark Berkwitt plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 21 Aug 2002 13:29:42 -0700

Thanks for trying to help, BoBB.
Unfortunately, when I try "boot: level 3" I get the reply
"Could not find kernel image: level"

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-discuss-admin@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
[mailto:plug-discuss-admin@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us]On Behalf Of BoBB
Sent: Wednesday, August 21, 2002 1:18 PM
To: plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Subject: Re: How do I boot into text mode, without X?

On Wed, 21 Aug 2002 12:57:31 -0700
"Mark Berkwitt" <mberkwitt@cox.net> wrote:

> I'm searching through the index of my copy of "Running LINUX" 3rd Ed. and
> can't find how to boot: into level 3 (I think that's right) thus avoiding
X.

Depends on your distro, most of the "big" distro's stick to having run level
5 as the graphic login runlevel. what you would want to do at the lilo
prompt is type 'linux 3'(or whatever the label is for your kernel) to boot
to runlevel 3. If you want to boot into run level 3 by default edit
/etc/inittab look for a like like this

id:5:initdefault:

and change 5 to 3. Im not to sure on the facts but i heard you shouldn't
change anything else in this file unless you know exactly what your doing.
maybee someone more experienced can put in thier $.02 :)

 --
 BoBB