Setup Help needed - SSL, Mail Server

David Mandala plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
19 Aug 2002 22:31:55 -0700

Sendmail is a nightmare to configure, is so large it is just this side
of impossible to audit so the security status is unknown and will remain
unknown.

Qmail, is fairly easy to configure, somewhat hard to build correctly
since you really need to add quite a few patches to the original source
code. Fairly easy to audit and is know to be secure, in fact it has
never had a security issue yet.

Postfix, is easy to configure, not hard to install or build from source,
comes with Red Hat 7.3 and can be turned on by a script called
redhat-switchmail which will allow you to switch to postfix simply. It
currently has no know security issues and is small enough to audit.

Given sendmail's long history of problems I would go with qmail or
postfix, in fact I run postfix now, I used to run qmail but got tired of
having to patch it to get the configuration I wanted.

Cheers,

Davidm