Setup Help needed - SSL, Mail Server

Tom Emerson plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 19 Aug 2002 17:10:50 -0700 (MST)

So many negative replies regarding Sendmail.  Anybody care to elaborate
regarding the current state of Sendmail V. anything/everything else?

Just to be the devil's advocate, why do I need to pursue something other
than Sendmail for my RedHat 7.3?  On RH, Sendmail is ready to go, (except
for the neccessity of a couple of tweeks let Sendmail know it's OK to
accept email from the Internet, and the addition of your favorite
anti-spam blacklist server or servers).

Looking for Pros, Cons, anti-spam DB connectivity, restricted shell
capailities & other security issues, out-of-the-box ready to use issues,
multiple domains, multiple identical user acounts, ease of third
party software's use of the server, etc...

I've used/implemented many flavors of mail servers over the past few
years, have to admit that in one form or another I've been stung by most
of them, whether Sendmail, QMail, Postfix, whatever.  Seems these three
have matured somewhat, and are fairly easy to roll into production these
days.

 - t
----------

On Mon, 19 Aug 2002, Kurt Granroth wrote:

On Monday 19 August 2002 12:46 pm, Mike Starke wrote:
> Mail
> I'm not a big fan of sendmail; I'm certain most of the group will
> steer you towards Postfix or Qmail. Personally, I am a Qmail fan.
> Again, commit to one of them, and we can certainly guide you thru
> getting it operational.

I second the "stay away from sendmail" sentiment and I agree that Qmail is
nice.  I'd also like to add my support for 'exim', though.  I used to use
qmail pretty consistently (and it is very nice) but since moving my mail
server system to Debian, I've been using exim (woody's default).  It was
very easy to configure and had worked flawlessly.  It has built in support
for open relay blacklists (I use ordb.org) and can natively use Maildir
(like qmail).  Plugging SpamAssassin into exim was also very easy (if not
trivial).  And 'eximstats' rocks.