Notebook Recommendation

Vaughn Treude plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 18 Aug 2002 11:05:43 -0400

I'll add my two cents:
I have a Sony Vaio and I've been pretty happy with it.  Originally it was a
Windoze machine which I was using for some contract development work.  (I
made a horrible mistake getting it with Windows ME; it's horribly unstable
even by MS standards.)   When the contract was over I put Red Hat 7.1 on it
(I know there are newer versions; I just happend to have the CD's); it was
quite an easy install.  The only problem was that the USB ports didn't work;
I did a google search and discovered that this is a kernel bug that somehow
affects the Vaio in particular; when I downloaded the patch and recompiled
and reinstalled the kernel, it worked fine.  If anyone's considering a Vaio,
let me know, I'll help out if I can.

Later,
Vaughn Treude
Nakota Software, Inc.

P.S.  Speaking of notebooks, I'm in the process of installing Debian on an
older notebook; a Winbook (which is unfortunately pretty banged up, almost
impossible to use without external KVM).  It looks promising, but not a fun
install; I don't have X working yet, and it worked first-time with RH.   So I
probably wouldn't recommend doing Debian on a notebook for a Linux newbie-
unless you're eager for an "educational experience."