Notebook Recommendation

Dennis Kibbe plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 16 Aug 2002 21:01:35 -0700

On Friday 16 August 2002 12:45 pm, you wrote:
> I want to get a notebook that will have Linux as the sole OS.  Can you
> fine folks share with me your experiences and recommendations as which
> brand[s] to consider?
>
> Specifically I'd like to know if there are any special challenges with
> the recognition of the built in ethernet and pointing device [eraser
> head or touch].
>
> I'll most likely go with RH since that is what I have the most
> experience with--although I understand true 'enthusiasts' use Debian
>
> :-)  I understand people are quiet passionate about the distro they
>
> use, but I would consider straying from Red Hat if another distro
> provided a better notebook optimization.
>
> My goal is to learn Linux well.  I don't need the fine polish GUI of
> RH, but then again I do not want to operate solely in a CL environment
> all the time either.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike

Toshiba 2805 works fine here with Debian. Ethernet, pointer (includung scroll
buttons), modem (ltmodem driver). Install the 2.4 kernel for best results.

Do a google search on the laptop model you are interested in and you will
most likely find someone has recorded their experience installing Linux.

Dennis Kibbe