Thought Police (Really)

Vaughn Treude plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 15 Aug 2002 11:43:02 -0400

I've long been under the impression that some of the more onerous provisions
of agreements such as "non-compete" contracts are not enforceable; your
employer can't take away your right to earn a living.  Brown was indeed
foolish to fire his lawyer; I'll bet the guy could have at least gotten him a
decent compromise.

I personally believe that honesty is severely  punished these days.  That's
why politicians are now apt to deny first and apologize later (and only if
they are really caught with their pants down.)  Likewise, if a company admits
a mistake; they will be sued, that's why they often play hardball with their
accusers.  If they paid reasonable compensation voluntarily, they'd end up
being sued for millions by greedy ambulance-chasers.

Yes, Brown should have kept a log, since he got the idea before he worked for
DSC.  But if I was Brown, I would have NOT have tried to sell the idea to the
company (since most suits don't understand the value of technical ideas) and
I would have NEVER, NEVER, asked for the release.  I would have said I got
the idea after my employment.  You don't ask for permission for something
that's yours.  And if it was all in his head, Alcatel never could have proved
otherwise.

Sad, but true-- Brown's worst crime was being too honest.

Vaughn Treude