Playing an AVI movie with MJPG

Victor Odhner plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 15 Aug 2002 08:55:48 -0700

My daughter just sent us a little video clip from
their digital camera.  I can't find any way to
play it.  It is in .AVI format and needs an MJPG codec.
I may have to download a shareware codec to view this
movie.

I looked around in Red Hat 7.3 and tried two video
players.  One has no "File"-type menu as far as
I can determine; and the other does nothing when I
select the .AVI file in question.  Since I'm not
into multimedia, the learning curve is a killer.

In the Win98 world, WMP said it was downloading but
then did not show me any video.  Real Player said no
plugin was available.  My daughter said it worked on
both for her -- I'm guessing that she did some sort of
install from a CD that came with the camera and got
the codec on her PC that way.

I do have a software firewall installed on
Windows, but I poked holes for Windows Media Player
and Real Player for the duration of my experiments.

Ideas?

Vic