Thought Police

Phil Mattison plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 15 Aug 2002 08:47:22 -0700

Unbelievable. Yet, sadly, I believe it.
There are a couple of worth-while tidbits near the end of the article.
And I have a few suggestions of my own.
First, keep a log. Logs and personal journals are admissible in court.
Second, never sign anything without reading it, and don't be
afraid to cross out anything you don't agree with.
If the other party objects, negotiate.
Third, never take the word of a bureaucrat. Bureaucrats are people
who have sold their souls. They have lost all motivation to honesty.
Most middle managers are bureaucrats. All corporate lawyers are.
Fourth, keep your ideas to yourself if you ever expect to develop
them or get any benefit from them. I filed (and was awarded) ten
different patents for the last two companies I worked for.
Today, all of them together wouldn't buy me a cup of coffee.
That's ok, I don't drink coffee anyway.
Fifth, patent your ideas yourself. There are patent agents
(not attorneys) who will file your patent for a flat fee
less than $2000. Attorneys want $5000 to $15000 typically.
If its not worth a couple grand to you, it probably isn't
such a great idea after all.
Save an attorney from drowning: take your foot off his head.
--
Phil Mattison
Ohmikron Corp.