Debian Install Newbie Tips

Robert Bushman plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 7 Aug 2002 09:41:40 -0400 (EDT)

Is there some Debian way of reconfiguring
the kernel, or should I just do it the old fashioned
way? I forgot to add SMP, so only the right CPU
is working. It's fine when I run Gimp or OpenOffice
Impress, but if I try to fire up OpenOffice Calc or
GnuCash, it gets all disaffected, says something like,
"math is the hobgoblin of small minds", and goes off
in the corner to smoke clove cigarettes.

I tried /usr/sbin/base-config, but it looks like that
starts after the kernel configuration.

On Tue, 6 Aug 2002, Derek Neighbors wrote:

> > - If you've got a big pipe, do a net install. Grab
> > the minimal .iso (about 10 megs). This way, you only
> > download what you're installing.
>
> Gack, its much easier to download 3 floppies. (root, rescue, driver)

*3* floppies? It took me half an hour yesterday
to dig up 2 floppies for LEAF. :)