intro classes?

Dennis Kibbe plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 5 Aug 2002 20:16:01 -0700

On Monday 05 August 2002 06:30 pm, you wrote:
> I really like this name: http://gnubies.org.  Obviously taken, but maybe
> they will let us host a "chapter" out here in the desert.
>
> I get the "joke" on the LOST name but it has a negative ring to it.  I
> don't have anything better yet though...
>
> Alan

Oh no, not "LOST in the desert." <g>

I haven't been following the discussion much but am willing to help with the
project.

I'm mentoring a friend via email and phone and Linux is a very frustrating
nut for him to crack.

Example:

He complained that FIND was much slower in Linux than Windows, so I suggested
LOCATE and sent him a short how-to found via Goggle. Well, he opened the run
dialog in KDE, typed LOCATE and expected something to happen, which, of
course, it didn't. He called me to complain that LOCATE didn't work. Not
being in front of the computer with him made it harder to sort out what went
wrong. All along I was thinking he was in a terminal window instead of KDE.
If he had typed it in a terminal windows he would have seen the usage.

His other complaint is that he can't begin to understand the documentation
and is afraid of mail lists, because they will either be over his head or
he'll get the old RTFM treatment. He's not a dumb bunny either being a
retired aero engineer and having build his own computer and installed Windows
countless times.

It doesn't help that things that work on my computer don't work on his, even
with the same distro. :-(

Dennis Kibbe