Exceed & its various "start" methods

Scott plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 2 Aug 2002 17:24:35 -0700 (MST)

On Fri, 2 Aug 2002, Tony Wasson wrote:

> > In exceed, you can set up a "script" to fire up a program on a remote
> > system, such as xterm, and have it show up on your local box (thats
> > running exceed).  Two of the more widely used start methods are Telnet and
> > Rexec.  I know how to issue the command line equivalent to Exceeds rexec
> > start method - ie
> >
> > rexec joeuser@myhost.com /usr/bin/xterm -display 10.1.1.2
> >
> > What I am trying to do is figure out how to do this with the "Telnet"
> > method.  Does anyone have any experience with this or know where to point
> > me?  I've been searching around but havent had much luck in finding an
> > answer.
>
> The 'r' tools are not secure and neither is telnet. You can do this with ssh
> using the same method.
>
>      ssh joeuser@myhost.com /usr/bin/xterm -display 10.1.1.2

While I agree that the 'r' tools and telnet are not as secure as ssh, I am
not able to use ssh.  Although I can load it on my linux box (at work),
the systems that I want/need to connect to will never have ssh on them
(dont even ask).

While I can start up a xterm like so:

xterm (bunch of parameters) -e telnet some_system &

xterm has some issues when used via exceed - which is why I am trying to
figure out what exceed uses for the command line when you choose the
'telnet (tcpip)' start method.  So, security issues aside, can anyone
help?

scott