BYO or manufactured?

Matt plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 23 Apr 2002 10:16:54 -0700

This isn't really directly about Linux, but what are your opinions on
building your own computer, or buying a Sony/Dell/whatever? I ask because
for the past few years I've been building my own, and it doesn't seem to be
working out too well for me. SuSE Linux 7.3 is supposed to have an amazingly
easy install, but it took me a week to install it, even though my computer
is very powerful. It always freezes somewhere, usually when it has to reboot
or on its way back to the installation from rebooting. But anyway, I
shouldn't go into all of that. I think a manufactured PC might work better
because I know the manufacturers test all the parts together to make sure
they don't "fight" with eachother, and because I let my friend borrow my
SuSE CD's and he installed it flawlessly on his emachine, with windows, and
that computer is about a third as powerful as mine.