KDE Distro

George Toft plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 16 Apr 2002 08:34:23 -0400

Kurt Granroth wrote:

> On Monday 15 April 2002 08:26 pm, Tom Achtenberg wrote:
> > Any one have any suggestion as to which distro best supports KDE desktop?
> >  I'm ready to give up on Red Hat as my whole system now makes a Windows
> > 95 box look stable since I put KDE 3.0 on it and Red Hat refuses to make
> > "official" RPM's available.
>
> Officially, we have to say that all distros are created equal (with the
> exception of RH which always screws up KDE packages).. but privately, we
> think that the best BY FAR is SuSE.  Second would be Mandrake.

I have to disagree.  Six months ago I would have been with you,
but since December, I have been using SuSE 7.3 Professional, and
I have had the following major issues (trying to make sure it is SuSE
specific):

- YaST 2 does not manage Logical Volume Management well.  YaST 1 is
better in that it actually resizes the filesystem.  YaST 2 says it
does, shows me it does, but df proves it wrong.

- SuSE apsfilter is not apsfilter.  The author says so on his site.
SuSE started off with apsfilter, but changed it so much that the
author refuses to help anyone using SuSE.  Guess why I was at the
author's site?  You guessed it . . .

- SuSE apsfilter does not work well.  CUPS worked fine.

- Squid was so unstable I uninstalled it.   It kept dying.

- mplayer will not work under SuSE without going through a lot of pain.

- That second layer of admin that they have added where you have to
use YaST to give permission for a new service to load really
irritates me.  If I installed the package, I want it to run.  In
the couple cases where I do not want it to run (ntp, sendmail),
I'll remove it from the startup scripts.

- YaST 2's run level editor cheerfully tells me ther are daemons
running in the wrong runlevels and there are no daemons running
when there should be.  This is a stock install that it is
complaining about.

To their benefit:
- I set up my WinTV card quicker in Linux than Windows using YaST.

- The security update feature is nice.  It lies about the amout
of updates, but seems to work.

Regards,

George