KDE Distro

Kurt Granroth plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 15 Apr 2002 23:46:19 -0700

On Monday 15 April 2002 08:26 pm, Tom Achtenberg wrote:
> Any one have any suggestion as to which distro best supports KDE desktop?
>  I'm ready to give up on Red Hat as my whole system now makes a Windows
> 95 box look stable since I put KDE 3.0 on it and Red Hat refuses to make
> "official" RPM's available.

Officially, we have to say that all distros are created equal (with the
exception of RH which always screws up KDE packages).. but privately, we
think that the best BY FAR is SuSE.  Second would be Mandrake.  I'd guess
that a good 80% of all KDE developers use one of the two.

Distros like Caldera and the new Lycroris and upcoming Xandros
(<disclaimer>I am now working for them</disclaimer>) have very nice, very
well put together installations of KDE.. but they aren't bleeding edge.  If
you want 3.0, you'll have a wait a bit with them.

The Debian packages tend to be alright.. when they finally come out!  Don't
hold your breath about any being made anytime soon, though.

RedHat doesn't support KDE, plain and simple.  The vast majority of
packaging-related bug reports come from RH packages.  I could never in good
conscience recommend that any home (deskto) user of Linux use RH.  There
are just so many other ones that are far better.
--
Kurt Granroth - "KDE -- Conquer Your Desktop"
KDE Developer/Evangelist | granroth@kde.org