restoring the default kernel (lynn.newton@cox.net)

Lynn David Newton plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 14 Apr 2002 08:13:47 -0700

A delayed response, as I'm juggling an array of system
problems and matters of real life all at the same time.

  >> Is it a true statement that if I do an upgrade of
  >> 7.2 => 7.2 (yes, the same version) that I will replace
  >> the kernel-related files ...

  Craig> not sure what you mean here. ...

Understandable, since I didn't really know exactly what
question to ask. I dug at it for a while and finally
got everything all figured out.

What I had done ultimately proved to be simple to
correct. I had not tampered with anything in /boot. I
now remember, after exploring my notes, that upon
building the kernel, nothing gets put or replaced in
/boot, or in /etc/lilo.conf that the builder does not
put there. So everything was safe.

My worry was that I had a number of old directory trees
in /usr/src, and also within linux-2.4.7-10 I had
inadvertently removed a directory or a symbolic link or
something.

What I did was back rename /usr/src to /usr/HIDEsrc and
reinstall the kernel-source RPM. That gave me a clean
tree to start from if I want to build again.

Everything is well again.

Well, sort of. I have two other problems I'm also
dealing with, but I won't whine about them until I hit
a dead end.

Thanks to all who contributed responses to my question.

--
Lynn David Newton
Phoenix, AZ