restoring the default kernel

plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 12 Apr 2002 15:48:52 -0400

Is it a true statement that if I do an upgrade of
7.2 => 7.2 (yes, the same version) that I will replace
the kernel-related files as installed in a normal
upgrade?

In my frustration to untangle a problem on my system I
tried to recompile my kernel and may have managed to
hose myself pretty good, because I think I may have
deleted something I need. However, the only stuff I
deleted is in /usr/src, not any thing in /boot (I don't
*think*), so assuming I haven't also splattered my
lilo.conf, I should still be all right. Right?

I do believe that I'll be able to reboot right now, but
am afraid to try unless I know that if the worst happens
I can restore things by booting from CD and doing an
upgrade.

And yes, I know this is not the cool way to be making
kernel changes. I just inadvertently botched a step in
the process so now I'm being extra cautious. No kernel
means no system.