XFree86 annoyance

Kevin Buettner plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 11 Apr 2002 11:55:34 -0700

On Apr 11, 12:45am, Kevin Brown wrote:

> I've been messing with this annoyance on and off for the past year
> to see if I could solve it.  So far no luck.  The problem:  Under
> Windows I can run my laptop display at 1024x768x16bpp, but under X I
> can only do 1024x768x8bpp.

Have you tried editing /etc/X11/XF86Config* ?

Find the "Screen" section and change the depth to 16.  (You may have
more than one, but it's usually pretty obvious which is the right one.)

If it doesn't work, look at the messages from the X server to find
out why.  You may need to redirect stdout and stderr to a file so
that you can see them all.

Kevin