Cox @ home and external cable modem

Victor Odhner plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 29 Nov 2001 20:03:48 -0700

Rick Rosinski wrote:
> Can Linux work with an external cable modem?

I think this might not have been what you really wanted to ask.

A "cable modem" as I understand it is a device that connects
to the TV cable (carrying the RF signal), and feeds a CatV cable
to your PC's Network Interface Card (NIC).  That's the setup I have,
and yes, it works fine with Linux which simply sees a LAN connection.

There are various issues involving node names, DHCP, etc.,
but these are just a matter of getting the connection set up
correctly one time, then you're all set.

If there is such a thing as an *internal* cable modem, that is
new territory for me.

Hope this helps,

Vic