"JABBER" on the list Can't we keep it down?

sm plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 29 Nov 2001 13:18:55 -0700 (MST)

On Thu, 29 Nov 2001, Derek Neighbors wrote:

> Rather than use some off irc server, why not use OPN - Open Projects Net
> that has hundreds of mirrored and synced servers and is guaranteed to be
> around more than an off personal server.
>

> Not only that its convienent for those that already deal with projects via
> open projects.  Just a suggestion not a knock on personal irc server.
>
> FWIW: Many of the larger LUGs use OPN currently.

A significant number of LUGs on one network may be a good reason *not* to
use OPN.  I use OPN quite a bit myself, and for one wouldn't mind seing a
PLUG channel there.  I also run a small five-server IRC network, which
would suit a PLUG list.

It kind of reminds me me of the discussion we had at the last Stammtisch
about SourceForge.  Having so many eggs in one basket makes you vulnerable
to the movements or disappearance of that basket.  See what happened to
EFNet, for example.

Personally, I think OPN is a fine idea, if PLUG does indeed desire an IRC
channel.  I believe OPN has channel services, so that would obviate the
need for channel watching bots.

-Sam