Would you pay for commercial software for Linux?

Bob George plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 25 Nov 2001 11:02:57 -0700

"Jiva DeVoe" <jiva@devware.com> wrote:

> [...] Would you pay for commercial software for Linux?  Ie: Say, games,
> productivity applications, etc?

Hell yeah! If I could get HalfLife/Counterstrike for Linux, I could
eliminate my last reason for keeping Windows running in my house. I don't
mind paying equivalent prices for games (or other software) for Linux.

> If so, why does it seem that most linux commercial software ventures
> fail?

I know Loki was putting out some good games, but they're not the games my
kids play (mostly first person shooters). Let's face it, games are the
largest software expenditure at my house these days.

As to non-game software, I'd say I'm pretty well covered by the free
software available for Linux. I wouldn't mind paying some for such packages,
if only a "feel good" fee of say $40 or so. When software gets above $99, I
start putting it on the "nice to have" list.

- Bob