Would you pay for commercial software for Linux?

foodog plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 25 Nov 2001 08:12:22 -0700

Jiva DeVoe wrote:

> To settle a dispute with someone:
>
> Would you pay for commercial software for Linux?  Ie: Say, games,
> productivity applications, etc?

If you count apps purchased for work, I've bought VMWare GSX server,
VMWare Workstation 1.0, upgraded it to 2.0 and plan to upgrade to 3.0.
Also two copies of Communigate Pro and one copy of the AV product that
works w/ Communigate (McAfee, I think).

For home use I would have bought Quake III Arena for Linux, except I Had
To Have It in Jan. 2000, when only Win32 was available.  I also bought
two commercial Linux distributions for home use.  It's pretty rare that
I buy software.

> If so, why does it seem that most linux commercial software ventures
> fail?
>
> (Distribution vendors are exempted from the above statement.)

I suspect most commercial software ventures fail, like small businesses
in general.

Steve

Pursuade your enemy to run with scissors - Sun Tzu