Kernel 2.4 issues and PCMCIA

Kevin Brown plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 22 Nov 2001 22:16:42 -0700

OK, compiled 2.4.14 without its own PCMCIA stuff.  Compiled pcmcia-cs 3.1.29
from the sourceforge site.  Added it to the grub.conf file and rebooted.

System comes up, starts to load pcmcia and crashes hard, kernel panic.

Gist of the error was:

Process insmod (pid:: 559, stackpage=c4ac5000)
Stack: <3 rows, 7 columns of 8 characters (guess Hex numbers)>
Call Trace: <more hex numbers>

Code: 66 8b 42 02 a9 00 40 00 00 74 0f 8b 42 44 c7 00 ff ff ff ff
<0>Kernel Panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!
In interrrupt handler - not syncing

This is basically what I have always gotten since 3.1.8 of the pcmcia-cs stuff
on my laptop.  Don't know if it's a compile option I screwed up or what.  Oh
well, time to try and figure out how to get grub to take me into single user
mode since I need to stop pcmcia from starting or I'll never get in.