Killing processes by name

Eric Richardson plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 21 Nov 2001 09:23:24 -0700

George Toft wrote:

 > The garbage collection that takes place is inside the VM, not in the
collection
 >  of unused VM's.  There's a slight difference.  If you have
 > hundreds of VM's, there's a programmatic error somewhere.

A process shows up for every thread. Killing the java that is the parent
process should take care of all the processes in the process table. I'm
not sure why each thread shows up in the Linux process table but my
guess is that is how they mapped threads in the VM port. I understand
IBM did a lot of work on the Linux threading model. There are three
models I'm aware of.
Process Thread
1      -     1
1      -     many
many   -     many

This is at least how I remember a Solaris whitepaper on Java threading
models.

Eric