Which BSD?

yarddog plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 15 May 2001 23:15:22 -0700

As others have pointed out, be very careful with the hardware you choose
with the BSDs. I said in an earlier post the problems I have had
installing FreeBSD. I had trouble with the Intel i810 video chip. I
called the tech support at the FreeBSDMall today. I was told that
FreeBSD does not and will not support Intel's i810 video chip. So, since
I cannot afford a new computer, I will give my copy of the software
away. I tried to install a PCI video card and my computer went into
revoltion. FreeBSD is not going to keep up with the technology like
Linux, and apparently purposely so. One thing I will keep in mind, that
this fall when I do buy a new computer, I will not buy anything with
shared resources like this chip. I even tried to install the new card
with Windows and it would not install because of the shared sources from
the chip, without the chip, the sound chip would not install either. So,
frankly, HP and other manufactuers that did this nasty thing can go to
hell.