Helpful PLUG members!

Don Harrop plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 08 May 2001 11:21:54 -0700

Jim wrote:

> It isnt just PLUG - it is the whole open source community, Alan.  If you
> have a problem with Sendmail or Samba or anything else, just email the
> author.
>
> If getting timely help from PLUG astounds you, buy a casket before you ask
> Jeremy Allison for help.  You will need it when you get his reply.
>
> On Monday 07 May 2001 06:55, you wrote:
> > I must say that PLUG is one of the most friendly and helpful
> > organizations around.  Maybe it is just an "open source" thing but some
> > members (Craig White) are very helpful.
> >
> > I wanted to get RH 7.1 and my DSL connection is still down.  Asking on
> > the email list a certain member (Craig White) offered to burn me a copy.
> >  And then that same member (Craig White) carried them with him today in
> > case he and I could meet up.  And then he (Craig White) called me to
> > tell me where he was having lunch.  I was able to find him there and
> > this very helpful PLUGer (Craig White) gave me a 4 CD set all burned and
> > ready to go in exchange for my 4 blanks.
> >
> > It is people like this wonderful anonymous member (Craig White) that
> > make PLUG great!  Help is just an email away!  Thank you all and thank
> > you especially to the man (Craig White!) that helped me.
> >
> > Alan

Just to toot my own horn on an open source experience, I emailed the
author of gkrellm twice with some good ideas.  Within a few days he had
the changes made and a new .tar.gz ready for download.

The changes that I requested were one: to be able to run gkrellm without
the option to right click and edit it's properties.  I wanted this in
order to run gkrellm at an xdm or gdm login screen without sacrificing
security.  The switch to run it in this mode is gkrellm -nc.  I also
wanted to monitor vnc connections on a certain box.  Several VNC
sessions were running but only two ports could be monitored at a time
for a single service.  He changed this so you could specify port ranges
and added a button on the display to show machines currently connected
to those ports.  As soon as my programming abilities are up to speed I
plan on contributing back to open source.  I figure I owe it to
OpenSource... :-)

Don