Intrusion Detection was Re: Ethics Question

James Bell plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 06 May 2001 02:20:06 -0700

Not to sound snarky here, but you mean it's dead horse time? ;-)

"J.Francois" wrote:
> <RANT>
> Why aren't SysAdmin, NetAdmins, Companies, Govts, etc. doing
> something to make this stop?
They are. It's called genetic engineering. Rewiring the human psyche
is the only way you're going to get *everyone* in the world to stop
jiggling door handles or listen to their neighbors conversations.

> Is there really that much incompetance/apathy/naievete out there
> about whats happening?
And how many times have you had to explain to the boss or anyone else
that the action of "right-click" does not involve a writing utensil?
Morons abound. Everybody else will get to it next week when they have
time. And susie clickhappy will doubleclick on anything that claims to
have pictures of bunnies, babies in flower costumes, and/or puppies.
So the answer to your question is yes, and about the only thing I can
think of - short of the above mentioned rewiring - is for everyone to
actually do something foreign to themselves and accept responsibility
for what they can and should do.  This means: companies quit figuring
out the latest eye candy to sucker people into buying their products
and actually lock down their installs, i.e. don't have anything
running by default that can be hacked; this forces users to purposely
turn on any service they think they need, and should force them to be
responsible for those holes they potentially open.

The motto that I live by is protect my own as much as I can, and
prepare to suffer the wrath of morons, apathetic losers, and
golly-gees.  And that motto applies to every aspect of my or anyone
elses life.

At least that's what I live by until the majority of human consciences
figures out the war between compassion and evolution, and the
population starts again being thinned of it's morons, apathetic
losers, and golly-gees instead of coddling them. And since I don't see
that happening ....