Weird....

Tyler Hall plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 3 May 2001 07:30:47 -0700

I installed MYSQL lately, and ran into the weirdest problem.   I'm wondering
if anyone else has had this problem:

It shows that it is running;

[root@gizmo tyler]# mysqladmin ping -p
Enter password:
mysqld is alive
[root@gizmo tyler]# mysqld
010503  7:37:04  Can't start server: Bind on TCP/IP port: Address already in
use
010503  7:37:04  Do you already have another mysqld server running on port:
3306 ?
010503  7:37:04  Aborting

[root@gizmo tyler]# telnet localhost 3306
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.localdomain.
Escape character is '^]'.
NHost 'localhost.localdomain' is not allowed to connect to this MySQL
serverConnection closed by foreign host.

I can even telnet to the port, but thats not the point.     I'm trying to
get PHPSlash, or PHPMyAdmin to work with it, and it won't let me connect to
it.  It says it's not active (not running).   Is there a place where I need
to specifiy to let all web connections access it?  That sounds funny, but I
have no other solution to this problem.  I can do a mysqladmin create
database > something.so or whatever, and it will create it, but nothing on
the web will be able to connect to the database.

Thanks,

Tyler