Anyone tried the Libranet distro?

Tom Snell gracchus@inficad.com
Wed, 28 Mar 2001 07:08:08 -0700

Just got it a couple days ago.  Not sure yet if there might be timing
issues with XFree 4.0.2 or the 2.4.x kernel (2.4.2 on the new Libranet
1.9) and the AMD 751 Irongate chipset on my MSI 6995 mobo.....I'm
running into the same X Windows instabilities (even instability in the
CLI....screen blacking out, shutting monitor down, resurrecting
again....) that I saw after installing SuSE 7.1....I've used "known
good" XF86Config-4 files to no avail.  Various oddities with Libranet:
no default agpgart....you gotta recompile the kernel.  Uses ALSA by
default: I've never gotten ALSA to work with my SB Live!
card...everything appears to be installed OK, mixer OK, but no sound,
and no apparent resource conflicts.  KDE 2.1 looks delicious, and is
actually more stable that the default IceWM, oddly enough.  Can't really
give an opinion on Libranet 'cause of what's happening on this box....I
imagine YMMV with a different chipset.  The install is a step above
Debian (you choose groups of packages, not individual debs), the
adminmenu tool is a simpler YaST, there seems to be a consistent menu
config across window managers, comes with Helix as well as Netscape 6
and Mozilla, not a bad single-CD deal for $25....they pack a lot in, but
it's stuff you'll probably use.  I'll at some point get around to
installing it on another box with a different config, an Intel CPU this
time, and see what happens.  For the time being, Mandrake 7.2 runs like
a clock....and everything works.

Tom