do the funky eth...

der.hans PLUGd@LuftHans.com
Fri, 2 Mar 2001 16:51:50 -0700 (MST)

Am 02. Mar, 2001 schwäzte Nick Estes so:

> Try putting the iproute2 tools on there, they'll at least help you

While it takes me some time to sift through this wonderful dearth of
documentation....

> troubleshoot a little more.  For example, when you take down an interface
> with ifconfig, it still has the ip address in the kernel, with iproute2

Ah, but I didn't just take it down, I changed the config, so the old one
should've been replaced. I'm looking at /proc/net/route and
/proc/net/arp. /proc/net/PRO_LAN_Adapters/eth?.info reports that current
hw addy is one less than permanent hw addy for the first two interfaces on
the box, but the others are OK.

Anything else in proc I should be looking at when investigation these
kinds of problems?

> you can see those and pull out the bad IP.  It also gives you better
> control over the arp table too.

Rebooted the box and the switches that we have and this prob seems to have
gone away. A question about eth. At the eth level everything is talking to
MAC addies, so if a switch doesn't update could the box be responding to
the wrong IP? In other words, does the network stack check that it really
is the destination IP or just trust that the packet being assigned for its
MAC addy means the packet is destined for it?

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  der.hans@LuftHans.com   home.pages.de/~lufthans/   www.YourCompanyHere.net ;-)
#  A t-shirt a day keeps the noose (tie) away. - der.hans