Last Warning

Robert Leonard rleonard@aprnet.com
Fri, 2 Mar 2001 11:50:35 -0700

>Can we at least get something in Central PHX?

Has anyone checked into GCC as a possible meeting place? IIRC they have a
very active computer program, and this might be a good place to look into.
I live on the east side, so i'm happy with the current locations, as Hans
stated, you can get one anywhere "YOU" want, and you might even get some
assistance.

>>I was glad to hear that thing I went to at Viking Systems(?) somewhere
around last October was an "installfest"; seemed like a bunch of people
>>waiting for something to happen, accented by a few anxious jobseekers
canvassing the attendees...
>>Not quite everything I'd dreamed of, you might say ;-)

The guy's at vikings were kind enough to allow the use of thier facility,
but i'm not sure what you were expecting? As this is a User Group, by the
users for the users of the users, were you expecting to be entertained,
educated, enlightened, spoonfed?  Did you bring a computer to install? were
you there to assist others install? were you there to be assisted in a
config issue?

I would have loved to attended last nite's steering committee meeting, to
have actively participated, but a little thing called work got in the way.
I have volunteered to assist lucas with co-ordinating presentations as he
needs it, i have presented at asulug and various other user groups around
the valley, I do what i can given my limited knowledge.  Fortunately plug
has an excellent and motivated group of people driving this forward, but
they also have jobs/families and other responsibilities,  If you have an
idea, or can present something that you like please step forward.  It does
not need to be a phd thesis, or a full meeting long presentation, imho, it's
better if they are shorter.

The comment about the jobseekers seemed a little crass and condescending,
one of the greatest value's for me with the various user groups is the
ability to quickly and efficiently network with others in the same field.  I
have received numeorus leads and consulting gigs from these memberships.

If you take the attitude with user groups "if it is to be it's upto me"
you'll have a far more enjoyable experience.