KDE Upgrade Help

Kurt Granroth plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 25 Jun 2001 10:37:37 -0700

On Sunday 24 June 2001 01:07 am, az_pete wrote:
> I am currently trying to upgrade my KDE 2.1.0 installation to the new KDE
> libs 2.1.2 along with several newer KDE packages versions 2.1.1.
> I am using Redhat 6.2.  When I try to upgrade to the kdelibs 2.1.2 package
> there are several pacakge dependency errors.  The most significant of which
> are:
> 'kdesupport >= 2.1.-3 is needed by kdelibs-2.1.2-1" and
> "libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.2) is need by kdelibs-2.1.2-1"
>
> My current glibc pacakges installed are gblic-2.1.3.-15.
>
> My questions are:
> 1) Is it safe/advisable to upgrade glibc from 2.1 -> 2.2.  I'm not a C
> programmer, so I'm uncertain if upgrading these system libraries will open
> a whole other can of worms.  Or is it the case to simply install glibc 2.2
> and have 2 versions resident on the system at the same time?

I wouldn't recommend *either* unless you really know what you are doing.  I
remember upgrading my system from a.out to elf by hand and from libc5 to
glibc as well... but I had way too much time I my hands back then and I
didn't have anything even remotely important on those systems.

Upgrading your libc is NOT for the faint of heart so think carefully before
you attempt to do it.

> 2) Since I was only able to find the kdelibs 2.1.2 packages and the
> kdesupport 2.1-3 package available in the RedHat 7.1 distribution directory
> on the KDE ftp site, then is that to say I cannot use those packages on my
> RH 6.2 system?

Right, you cannot.  Packages for RedHat 7 and above will *not* work for any
earlier version of RedHat.

> My objective is to get the latest and greatest KDE version installed on my
> RH 6.2 system.  Any help would be apprectiated :)

I'm afraid in the case of KDE, you'll have to compile from source.  We depend
on the vendors for binaries of KDE and RedHat just doesn't support anything
but 7.1 right now.

You could also upgrade to 7.1 (I'm sure somebody here has a CD you can borrow
or have).
            KDE -- Conquer Your Desktop