Notebook as a router/firewall - SUCCESS

Jason plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 21 Jun 2001 11:34:35 +0000

Wayne Conrad wrote:

> On Tue, 19 June 2001, George Toft wrote:
> > 6.  Created a script that monitors hard drive activity and dumps the
> > output to /var/log so I can tail it to see how often the hard drive
> > is shut down.
> Neat stuff!  How do you monitor when the hard drive is stopped and started?

Heheh..
Thu Jun 21 04:29:07 MST 2001 - HDC spindown
Thu Jun 21 04:29:08 MST 2001 - HDC spinup (file accessed:
/var/log/hdspindowns)

Another possible way to reduce heat that is seriously worthy of
mentioning is UNDERCLOCKING THE PROCESSOR. Yep, if your task leaves
the CPU with a load that never exceeds .05, its time to rejumper or
reconfigure that baby for a lower clockspeed. Often, with a much lower
clockspeed one can also use lower than normal voltages, although doing
so in an unattended system probably isnt the brightest of ideas.
Nevertheless, if the CPU is spec'd at 2.0v, but when you halve the
clockspeed it can run at 0.7v without crashing (but crashed once at
0.6v), its probably a safe gamble to run it at 1.4v... which halves
power consumption yet again

--
jkenner @ mindspring . com__
I Support Linux:           _> _  _ |_  _  _     _|