Notebook as a router/firewall - SUCCESS

Bob George plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 20 Jun 2001 19:08:02 -0700

"George Toft" <george@georgetoft.com> wrote:
> [...]
> Since you may not recall my previous statements, let me recap: I pointed
> out that laptops were not well suited as routers because of the heat
> buildup from running the hard drive continuously.  This was based on my
> experience replacing the hard drive in my laptop two times.

I've considered doing a laptop/notebook firewall/gateway using a
floppy-based or CD-ROM based distribution. The form-factor is perfect, and
not having a hard drive should really keep it cool. That's a consideration,
especially during the hot months. I don't mind burning out a drive, but
having my office run 10 degrees warmer than the rest of the house is a bit
of a drag.

Has anyone tried this?

- Bob