Qwest DSL to Cox@Home

Bob George plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 11 Jun 2001 16:11:34 -0700

<julian@catchen.org> wrote:
> [...]
> 1) Is it worth renting a modem from Cox?  It seems that a modem would
quickly
> pay for itself at $15/month.

It's a bit like those extended warranty plans. In my case, I wound up
replacing the modem several times, so it was worthwhile to rent it. Now that
I'm on one of the SurfBoard modems, all seems stable and I may consider
purchasing one.

> 2) Any recommendations for a good Cox-compatible modem?  I would like to
get
> one that does DHCP like my current Cisco 675, so that I can run my several
> linux boxen on one IP.

As David mentioned, it's simple enough to use a Linux box as your
gateway/firewall and let it do DHCP, DNS and whatever services you require
internally.

Good luck with it!

- Bob